Wednesday 30 March 2011

Ayutthaya? No, there's just something in my eye



It's been a while since I wandered through the decaying ruins of fallen civilisations and considered the futile nature of our temporary existence. But I've seen enough of Thailand's natural wonders for one month, so time for some stuffy history. There will be a test, so pay attention.

While the temples of former Siamese capital Ayutthaya make for a good day trip out of Bangkok, I was a bit annoyed that I only found out about Sukhothai too late to visit there instead - which looks like an even older, bigger, better preserved and just plain better version. Never mind, at least this sort of makes up for my lack of photos from Pompeii, even if there are no harrowingly preserved dead children in Ayutthaya. I want the moon on a stick.


Bang Pa-In Island



Summer palace



These pleasingly squashed streets felt more like Tuscany than Thailand



Same goes for the Thai-Gothic fusion cuisine of Wat Niwet



Int.



Lighthouses are good


Wat Phra Mahathat



It doesn't even look finished. Rip-off!



The Leaning Chedi of Ayutthaya, as it isn't called



Look at all these headless and/or limbless Buddhas.
I reckon you could complete a fair few sets if you dug around a bit



Look, there's a foot



And a head. (Who left it in there?)


Wat Thammikarat



Legs and bit of chest to add to the pile



Big cocks at Wat Thammikarat



Wat Lokayasutha



Yeah, another ruined temple.
They're going to have to do something to stand out if they expect to impress me now



You mean like having a MASSIVE RECLINING BUDDHA?
(Feat. dog for perspective)


Wat Phra Si Sanphet



Look at me liking the death and decay. This place was the best



Nice and messy



Return of the Chedis



Scary Knightmare-style door. Inside felt inexplicably hot and humid. I didn't like it



Old white man with attractive young Thai woman.
You don't see much of that going on.
Hardly at all


Viharn Phra Mongkol Bopit



Ordination hall



Another humongous Buddha



They've been lying to us!


Wat Phukhao Thong



Last one. I promise



Ayutthaya?
Of course I am, I just climbed all those steps



Monk has fun with fire



King Naresuan's glam rock cocks