Saturday 23 April 2011

T.A.I. Friday



So far, the places I've stayed in Malaysia have been predominantly Malay or Chinese neighbourhoods, so I was looking forward to finding out more about Islamic-Malaysian culture at the various museums of Kota Bharu in Kelantan.

As if to demonstrate my Islamic ignorance (or forgetfulness - as I lived in Egypt and Israel for a couple of months last year and should have remembered stuff like this), I chose the worst timing for my visit by arriving on a Friday when everything's closed.


Kota Bharu (closed)



Jahar Palace (closed), cunningly photographed through gate gaps



What kind of Islamic Museum closes on a Friday?
A: An authentic one



War Museum (closed). A shame, there were some bizarre gadgets knocking about that I had to make up my own stories about



Independence field (closed) looked nice too.
I at least enjoyed the post-apocalyptic solitude of all this



The Grand Palace was open, but I was forbidden from entering for different reasons.
It's Kuala Kangsar all over again. But here's a stealthy photo of a 'no photography' sign



Royal jetty clock tower (closed)



Muhammadi mosque... is open! It's an Easter miracle



So is Buluh Kubu Bazaar, which is lucky because where else are you supposed to buy your complete worthless shit?



Inside the panopticon at Siti Kajidah market


No, Kota Bharu isn't the most happening of cities. Thank Allah for the Cultural Centre...