Saturday 14 May 2011

Tea for the Tioman



It wasn't until I came to Pulau Tioman that I really appreciated a good island. This is a bally good island.

I've been to plenty over the last few months, gradually overcoming my Bill Hicksesque distaste for the beach and learning to relll. But when I started to miss Pulau Perhentian after my last island trip, I vowed to give myself as long as it took to get sick of paradise the next time around.

I've been here 12 days and counting, which by my restless standards is about eight months. It's not like I have some place I need to go. Really, I'd be crazy to ever leave.


Air Batang




Air Batang (popularly, lazily and illiterately known as 'ABC') is the best place on Tioman if you're looking for that golden ratio of cheap accommodation, peace and quiet, funny wildlife and not being completely tedious.



Wilderness beckons



Beached boat



The Bachelor Pad, a.k.a. The Babe Lair, a.k.a. The Oven



Annyong (as I racistly call my Korean friend) plays a song to the sea



A sunset



Mawar Beach Restaurant for cheap food, irritating cats and apathetic staff.
You can usually find me here thrice daily



Sunset bar for expensive drinks, disappointing pizza and a mental Russian guy making pointless bonfires with twigs he spent all day needlessly gathering, like a pyromaniacal ant


Tekek




Bigger, busier, noisier, Tekek's only good for a duty-free booze cruise.



Tekek river walk



Big stupid bird


Snorkelling at Coral Island and Renggis Island




Snorkelling is always completely fun, especially when you persuade two Chinese sisters to come along only to discover too late that they can't really swim, and you get to play hero. I saw a shark too. I AM SO ACE!



Unspoilt Coral Island.

Yes, I'm aware it looks exactly the same as every other island beach photo I've ever taken



Dave conspicuously not snorkelling on Coral Island



Spoilt Salang



Rugged Renggis


Trekking to Monkey Bay




When paradise gets tedious (I'm with Lucifer on that one - and on a couple of other points), subject yourself to oppressive heat and minor lacerations with an edifying jungle trek between beaches, along what are optimistically called 'routes.'



Power cables my only guide



Lovely clear water at Panuba



Lovely oily water at Panuba



Slightly disappointing Monkey Bay, where there are no monkeys



But at least there's a rock vaguely in the shape of an arse, so this treacherous trek is ultimately worth it